Friday, March 6, 2009

Needy or Wanty?

An email arrived this morning in which a friend wondered if they had become a needy person. Their musing triggered in me this question:

Why is it that people can be 'needy', but are hardly ever admit to being "wanty"?

It seems fairly obvious, but track with me for a moment.

Needs seem to be more honest, more genuine, and often more urgent. On the other hand, wants seem to be less honest, superfluous, or perhaps even selfish desires.

When basic needs aren't met a person is in a real state of deprivation and often desperation. Legitimate needs can exist on all levels of human existence: physical, mental, emotional, spiritual; although we seem focused on the physical needs most of the time. There is no shame in being needy on these levels. If shame exists, it is on those who could provide relief, but who choose not to or remain unconcerned.

However, sometimes our stated or perceived needs are actually wants in disguise. We humans often confuse needs and wants. We so intensely want something that over time we dress up the want in need-clothing. We come to see the want as a need and we claim to be needy, when in fact we are actually "wanty"

Of course God sees right through the disguise and deception, and answers our misguided or deluded prayer for our wanty-needs the only way he can, with pity and waits patiently for us to awaken from our self-induced deception. He may even proactively attempt to rattle us awake by orchestrating some of those pesky life-lessons we so often appreciate only some time after they cross our paths.

So my prayer this morning is...
Lord, help me to see what you see,
and to discern my needs from my wants.
Lord, help me to want what you want,
and to trust you for all my needs.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Psalm 70.5 (NLT)
Yet I am poor and needy;
come quickly to me, O God.
You are my help and my deliverer;
O LORD, do not delay.

1 comment:

ann said...

I think we call the person "needy" because we know that they have too many perceived needs. If they actually knew that their desires were wants instead of needs, they would cease to behave like a "needy" person.